Saturday, April 27, 2013

Rushed goodbyes

Farewell parties are given so that they are remembered;
fond memories where one makes up for lost time, lost friendships, recalls beautiful moments, laughs over misadventures– all of these with the realization that one may not meet these people, these beloved friends ever again (if one does, things won't ever be the same).
They are not. They never are. Over the years, we've all had different kinds of farewells- some pleasant, some unpleasant- but all memorable.
The mementos we get are a couple of crazy photographs we may show to our other friends in the future and laugh over them- and lo and behold! some of these photographs are what grandparent tales are made of! 
But I digress. The point is farewells are seen as essential rites of passage before entering each new stage in life: it involves closure( which is impossible to achieve) and obfuscating bad memories( except in moments of intense nostalgia, this doesn't happen). 
Is there really any way to describe extremely intense experiences one is passionately invested in?

Anyway, these questions won't end.

I'd just like to say I love you to all those who made my life worth living these two years; those who pampered me, taught me, loved me, cried and laughed with me, got angry with me, "suffered into truth" with me. What we share is something irreplaceable.
Therein lies the crux of the matter: I love you, with all my heart. Thank you for entering my life.
AND please! let the sentiness begin somewhere!

© Geetakshi Arora, April 27, 2013

4 comments:

  1. Let the sentiness begin? I don't want it to begin.. it'll never end then.. Btw, I like the words you've given to your emotions, which i am sure are shared by many today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pri- Yep! I hope I have..but I know some of us feel exactly what I have written!
      To those who do, these memories will always help salvage the situations we find ourselves in,estranged in lands we don't like, in situations that intimidate us :)

      Delete
  2. Geetakshi you have summed up all what is going on in the minds for most of us. I, for one, is someone who is unfortunately, not going to be in Delhi. And will miss you loads. Somehow this Arts Faculty had become a safe, welcoming haven of our daily routine, experiences that were enriching, baffling, irritating, sometimes hurting, but very enjoyable the other moment, and on the whole very fulfilling. I just hope that we all take something valuable out of these two years ( in our case, 5), so that they continue to revitalise our times ahead, for i am sure, they are going to be a tad more trifling and challenging. Love you loads <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That safe haven- we're now leaving our nests...Returning too.. but leaving this one home we had- with no ideas about what may lie ahead!
      Sometimes, we'll remember sayings, snatches of conversations, even lectures, that may show us the way ahead in times that won't be as bright as they are now..
      I love you Giri!
      Always will :)

      Delete