Tuesday, April 22, 2014

In the Beginning


Autumn sprung 
with colourful leaves:
red, bronze, orange and golden,
and the flowers were generous,
they donated their colours for a bit;
"Do you know that leaves are living things?"
Mother's voice came grudgingly
from memories long forgotten,
(I was five);
Crunching my way across 
the sunset rug,
I recall and bend,
touching a few small ones gently,
they were too young to have fallen
like all the others;
There was one though, 
frail, 
like an old lady
after her chemotherapy,
tired and scared,
with bright smiling eyes,
waiting for some well-earned peace;

I run across the russet spread,
still clutching the shrivelled small leaf 
in my hand,
not so small anymore,
I could have crushed it in my hand
with a satisfying crunch;
I gently set it in the book:
"She felt the abyss of disenchantment.” 

©Geetakshi Arora
April 21, 2014

2 comments:

  1. Ah! how poignant! This is deep, the young leaf that has fallen reminds me of the child with leukaemia who has undergone chemo and the older one all the same :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely agree with you :(
      It is as painful a reminder of one as it is a beautiful and natural process of life :(

      Delete